Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Miss Eliza Sweet FIT...



This is beautiful Miss Eliza Sweet. I love it when my tintype images are identified. So many are not in paper sleeves and there is no way of ever knowing anything about the person in the photo. The back of the photo also contains the photographer's information. It says:


NEW STYLE CARTES DE VISITE

By Machinery,

Made and delivered in ten minutes,

At N.D. MORGAN'S

Rockwell Building, No. 166 Main Street,

NORWICH, CONN.
I have no information on Miss Sweet, but her photographer Nathan Morgan is well known for taking photos of African Americans and American Indians in the late 1800's. I found photos credited to him on the New York Public Library Digital files, The New England Quarterly, MIT Press Journals and the Mashantucket Pequot Museum and Research Center Archives & Special Collections. So even if the photograph is not historically notable, the photographer who took the photo is very relevant. Pretty cool.
***Things I Am Thankful For Today-Sweet James woke me up this morning by telling me that he loved me more than Lego Batman. (That's A LOT by the way), the scales consistently continue to move in a downward motion and that big, beautiful Moon in the sky this morning

4 comments:

Lori said...

LOL!!! kids say the cutest things:) that is a lovely tintype!!! you really are so sweet to share Miss Texas!!!

Rella said...

Hi Sweet Pea!! I thought I would send a hug and remind you that the day/night is approaching....New Moon mailing of the Luna Bookmark. There are only four of us......but that's o.k....FANTASTIC FOUR!!! Do you need my addy? e-mail me at faerieluna at cox dot net. Love and blessings ~ Rella

Amy said...

Wow! You rank higher than Lego Batman!!? You do rule!
Thanks for sharing the great image and the photographer info, too.
Amy

Elizabeth Golden said...

I can tell you something more about this Miss - she is in mourning, she has her jet jewelry on and her hair is confined in a net. Probably a parent died, probably her mother. Father will want her to perform "duties" so she can still be presentable.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails