Thursday, June 28, 2007

It's Time for More Bad Art......


This was my first (and last) attempt at sculpting polymer clay. When I was growing up my parents and I always went to the State Fair in Columbia, South Carolina. We would do the rides and games, but my favorite thing (elephant ears with powdered sugar) was to see the animals and to look at the crafts and art submissions. I would walk up and down the isles looking at the paintings and drawings. That was where I saw my first ever "fairy in a jar" art. It was a large jar and the fairy was sculpted out of clay. She was so delicate and her wings shimmered and she wore a tiny burlap dress. She was standing with her hands pressed against the glass looking out at me. All over the inside of the jar were the tiniest muddy hand prints where she had fluttered around trying to get out of the jar. The jar sat upon a stack of antique books about fairies and there was a large magnifying glass lying along side. It was the most enchanting thing I had ever seen. I looked at it for so long and then would have to move so others could come by, but I would go back and stare.

That had to have been 18 years ago and I have always remembered it. I was so thrilled to see the new fairy jars start to emerge in the mixed media art world. Soooo, I thought I'll sculpt a fairy and stick her in a jar too. Well, this is my attempt and it looks like the missing link:) Not fairy like at ALL! LOL!!! I might try again someday, but for now I am going to leave this to the experts:)

16 comments:

Erin Earls said...

Faces are hard. Yours has a kind of charm to it. Mine look like blobs with eyes. LOL I think I will stick with flowers.

Anonymous said...

Never give up girl. :) That was only first try. It is wonderful to be unique and that piece is unique. :) Thanks for sharing it with us! I sure couldn't do anything like that. :)
*HUGS*

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, can I tell you how awesome that face would be in a "nightmare jar?" Screw the prissy fairys... make one from the darker side of the realm! heh heh heh! Seriously. That would be so cool! You would probably start a trend, girl.

Sharon Tomlinson said...

You crack me up with your neanderthal fairy. Don't yo suppose there were fairys back then too. Makes me remember my first sculpture was a limestone rock and it looked like an early cave man. You just stopped to soon. Keep going with this one and you will have a beautiful fairy.

Rella said...

Oh my gosh, I was just giggling and giggling when I got to the end of that really heart touching post. I was "seeing" you going back to look at a precious fae in a jar...and muddy hands, oh my......and then I read your description of yours and I look up again at it and just giggle. Because you are so hard on yourself and because I am rather liking that cute little face peering over the page at me. I want to name the little faeling.
Too cute. Both of you!!!
Rella

Lori said...

oh, you are sooooo going to get me in trouble...it's 00:36, everyone is asleep and i am laughing my &%% off
{and spitting bits of peanut~butter filled pretzels all over the laptop} you are sooo funny girl!!!
i would definately take Miz's advice and tweak the idea...i am going to do a mistake/oopsie post next...wait til you see my first bunny attempt...HAH

The Feathered Nest said...

Jamie! I just died laughing! You laying that little head onto the dictionary, well I glance down and see the word at the top of the page!!! I think it would be adorable, honestly ~ you should try it again ~ the first thing I made from paper clay, a little baby, looks like Ernest Borgnine (sp?) with a diaper on but I still love the little stinker! xxoo, Dawn

Pam Aries said...

Oh Jamie! You gave me a great laugh this morning! How funny that you put the face next to the dictionary term neanderthal! I am still laughing! Ya know he could always be a caveman fairy! I am sure there were faeries then too! Smoochie lips is onto something with her idea! mwa hahah!

Tricia said...

ohh, i like the face. please don't give up. i could never do it that good. and like miz smoochie lips says you can always use it for a jar of a darker kind.
a halloween jar maybe and i bet with hair it would surprise you with it's cuteness!
xoxo,

Anonymous said...

Jamie! Phone Home! Keep on trying! You are so talented, you will have beautiful fairy jars in no time! Where in the Lone Star state are you located??

Vintage Papers said...

I think you did awesome on your first try!

Artifax said...

I think it's great for your first sculpted head. You can always add a little beaded and feathered mask. Accessories make the fairy :)

I love your description of that fairy jar from your past....sounds beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh don't give up, your neanderthal is gorgeous! I just had to giggle. Keep trying!! What a little character.

Pam Aries said...

Hey girlie! Send me an email pamaries52 at hotmail...........

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I disagreee and think that you gave up too early! She has quite a compelling face, and not every fairy is a dainty little princess. By the time you create her fairy jar world and get her dressed, she'll be so much better. Please finish her!!!!!!

Marjorie said...

She is not that bad at all! Faces are so hard to do...and for a first try...yours looks great! You could also try using a face mold to make it easier. Oh, and the little fairy in the jar that you were describing sounds so wonderful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails